It is often said that there is nothing like a bite of pickle to perk up the drabbest of meals. This is indeed true for they add a touch of spice, aroma and flavour to the food. And there is something comforting about pickles made at home which can never match the store bought ones. Below is a recipe of a simple greeen chilli pickle that requires few ingredients but packs a punch it terms of flavour and taste.
- Green chillies – 10 nos.
- White mustard seeds – 3 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Lime juice – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1.5 tbsp
- Wash and dry green chillies thoroughly
- Once completely dry, chop into bite size pieces vertically.
- Dry roast white mustard seeds and grind to a fine powder; repeat the same with fennel seeds
- Take a dry vessel and transfer the cut chillies, mustard powder, fennel powder, salt, sugar, turmeric and mix well.
- Transfer the same into a clean dry glass bottle and add in the lime juice; mix well.
- Warm mustard oil over a low flame and then pour over the pickle.
- Seal the bottle and store in a cool, dry place.
- You can dry roast 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds, powder the same and add it to the pickle.
- Allow the ingredients to settle down for 2-3 days before consuming it.
- Ensure there is no moisture in the chillies.
- The mustard oil needs to be just warm and not scalding hot
- Tastes well with rice, theplas and rotis.
This is the first time I tried this one and am quite pleased with the results. Tempted to try it with carrots as well, will keep you posted:)
Do try this one and let me know your feedback!