There is no denying the fact that lemons are one of the best foods to boost your immunity. Rich in vitamin C, they have several antibacterial and antiviral properties and is a natural immune system helper. And given the current times we live in when Covid 19 has adversely affected every aspect of our daily lives, the importance of building a strong immune system can hardly be overemphasised.
Here is a simple recipe made from used lemons that is not only healthy but also ideal for the days of the lockdown when supplies are scarce. It is a great example of zero waste cooking which is a concept that focuses on using fruits and vegetables to the fullest without mindlessly discarding the peel, seed or the pulp. Extremely nutritious this pickle is pleasant on the gut, a great palate cleanser and perfect if you want to eat something light yet wholesome.
- 2 lemons whose juice has been squeezed
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 4-5 byadgi chillies
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- asafoetida a pinch
- salt to taste
- Once the juice of the lemon has been squeezed, cook the shell in a cooker. You can just put it in a small bowl when you are making rice.
- Once cool, grind it into a coarse paste with the red chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida and fenugreek seeds. Allow to splutter.
- Add the ground mixture, add salt and once cooled store in an air right container.
- Best enjoyed with curd rice.