Come summer and it is time for mangoes, salads, smoothies, ice creams and a whole lot of summer treats. A time when the body gets dehyadrated faster due to the scorching heat, summer is meant for taking in plenty of those fluids and juices. Whether it is nimboo pani, shikanji, aam panna or neer mor, the options are many when it comes to summer drinks. While these are some traditional summer coolers, Piyush is a luscious summer drink that is native to the states of Maharashtra and Guajrat.
Made using shrikhand, yoghurt (or buttermilk), milk, sugar, dry fruits and flavoured with aromatic saffron, this is a drink that scores well both on taste and health. It is thick and highly nutritious. Here are some of the benefits of the individual ingredients:
- Yogurt: is rich in calcium and good for teeth and bone health. It is also replete in B vitamins, particularly vitamin B12 and riboflavin.
- Milk: it helps the body absorb calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K, phosphorus and magnesium.
- Buttermilk: it is probiotic and is light on the stomach for summer.
- Saffron comprises of carotenoid compounds that are rich in anti-oxidants.
- Green cardamom helps to boost energy and metabolism.
- Nutmeg is a good source of minerals like calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, and zinc.
“Piyush, is a creamy saffron drink that is prepared by mixing nutritious ingredients. Prepared using B12 rich Shrikhand, a glass of this healthy drink offers offers about 12 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet. The presence of curd not only makes it good for health but also helps cool the body particularly when the temperature soars. The ingredients used in the preparation of this drink are a good source of minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, zinc and magnesium. Since we perspire a lot during summer, such healthy drinks facilitate in reinstating fluids lost through metabolism, breathing and sweating and re-hydrate our body” says Ishijyot Surri, Executive Chef, SJI Hospitality.
Recipe (courtsey Ishijyot Surri, Executive Chef, SJI Hospitality)
- 200 grams shrikhand – about 1 cup, (cardamom, saffron flavored shrikhand)
- 1.5 cups home made yogurt or buttermilk
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 green cardamom, powdered
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 to 7 pistachios, sliced
- 1 to 2 pinches of saffron
- First take the shrikhand, yogurt/buttermilk, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder in a mixing bowl.
- Blend in a mixer along with sugar
- Keep the drink in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours so that it is cold when consumed
- Pour the chilled drink in glasses, and top with pistachios or almond slices and saffron.
5 thoughts on “Recipe – Piyush: a healthy and delectable summer drink”
Wow, this sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it….
Yes it is! Do try and let me know how it turns out:)
Looks very yummy….. when shall I come to taste……hope you are healthy and safe …..next few months looks dangerous……. don’t travel…..
Thanks sir, most welcome anytime:) Yes things are very bad…no travel in the near future! You too stay safe and healthy:)